Thursday, April 27, 2023

🪤

I haven't practiced law in 30 years (I stopped the year after my daughter was born, to go to seminary). All I know about the Disney suit is what I've read on Twitter.. And even I know better than this. Jonathan Turley is, objectively, an idiot. This is just one analysis of why the mouse set the trap, not DeSantis: Civil discovery, as Fox found out, is very broad. And it can very quickly become very public. Whether DeSantis runs for the GOP nomination or not, this stuff is coming out. I think Disney's lawyers are very savvy, and know they are fighting in court and in the court of public opinion. So I don't think they're beyond pantsing DeSantis, whether he's still a GOP primary candidate or not.  Besides, Schorsch says DeSantis will have to turnover documents because it will connect to his Presidential campaign.  But DeSantis is being sued as the Governor of Florida; and his Legislature is working to pass a law allowing him to keep that job while running for the other one.  So the distinction between governor and candidate will be erased completely; as a matter of Florida law.

Be careful what you wish for.

And all this aside from the fact DeSantis is trying to punish Disney for not kissing his ass and saying it smells like roses.  That's gonna wreck his reputation, whether he decides to run in '24 or wait until '28.  Disney has nothing to lose here.

Honestly, you'd expect DeSantis to be smarter than this.  The courts are not a fora that's been working out for MAGA and MAGA associated entities and persons.  I'd have thought that was obvious by now, but still the lesson must be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment