When I entered college in the ‘70’s, I paid more each semester for textbooks than I did for tuition. IIRC, state university tuition was $4 a semester hour. The most I paid in one semester was $72, when I took 18 hours. (I was young and foolish.) Fees increased that bill usually by 100%, but I still paid more for books. I took three postgraduate degrees (and here I am), two at private schools (one on a full scholarship. Not merit, just a fund to encourage students to attend seminary.Trump isn’t making college more affordable.
— Melanie D'Arrigo (@DarrigoMelanie) September 28, 2026
He isn’t forcing employers to pay living wages.
He isn’t trying to solve the student debt crisis.
He’s just limiting education for Americans. https://t.co/dmAVvs2inS
A noble effort that really didn’t solve the denomination’s problems.). My daughter learned CAD at a community college. She paid more in tuition in two years, at a public college, than I paid for my undergraduate and MA degrees.
There’s something wrong with this picture.
I had student loan debt for a decade or so after law school (private school). My daughter took about that long to pay off her student loans.
It doesn’t have to be this way. The whole purpose of public universities was to be affordable. The Lovely Wife’s father died when she was an infant (she doesn’t remember him). She, and her older sister, got their degrees at the same state school I did. Social Security survivor benefits paid for it.
It should be that way. It shouldn’t be this way.
a single year at my alma mater now costs ~22% more than my entire college tenure (graduated in '91).
ReplyDelete