Monday, September 27, 2021

Another Shining Example of Texas Public School Education

I know we pronounce the two words the same way, but when I was in 7th grade learning grammar was much more important than learning cursive (which we did in the 4th grade, IIRC. Or was it 3rd? Either way I gave it up in high school when my English teacher asked me to resubmit a hand-written essay (these were the days when typewriters were exotic office equipment) in block print rather than cursive, because she couldn't read it.  She wasn't wrong.).

It was prescriptive grammar in those days, the Latin-based form British grammarians came up with as part of their undying fealty to the Empire (Roman, I mean).  I wouldn't go back to that, but basic spelling and word use could be more important than cursive writing.

I've been dealing with the product of Texas public schools for 20 years now as a teacher myself.  I know what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Block capitals, good enough for Virgil . . . No one can read my cursive, they never could and try as I might I couldn't make it legible. Which is odd because my music manuscript was considered quite OK. Now I use the computer for both.

    ReplyDelete