Sunday, September 29, 2024

Evangelicals Will Apparently Forgive A Lot

At least in the name of achieving power. What I’m not sure about is if they’ll forgive something so plainly “Papist.”

I use the term advisedly. I find it offensive, but it captures the animosity of conservative evangelicals for Roman Catholicism. Evangelicals may make common cause with Catholics over abortion, but that, too, is the pursuit of power. The Catholics are never allies, just at most partners of convenience. Being anti-Catholic is still almost a source of identity for evangelicals. So quoting papal prayers and appealing to saints for intercession, complete with iconography (I’m sure Trump has no real idea what he’s doing), may well be a bridge too far.

Interesting choice by him anyway. Maybe he thinks it wins the Catholics over. But I don’t think the evangelicals will be too comfortable with it. Especially if he repeats it.

No comments:

Post a Comment