Saturday, September 28, 2024

Twitter Is Free

Really need to have a discussion about what “Christian Nationalism” means.

I grew up in the South, I’ve heard people casually use “Bless” in everyday conversation (and contrary to the stereotypes, “bless your heart” is not always meant as a slap; I didn’t learn that usage until I was an adult. When you wanted to be pointed, you didn’t hide it. That’s when you pulled out “bless his pointed little head.” The misinterpretation is just a sign of people who don’t understand Southern. At. All.). I can’t do it (use “blessed” casually ) and it often rubs me the wrong way. But calling it cultural hegemony?
Opinions are like…well, you know.

Bless your heart.


Most of the Baptists 'round here regard that particular usage of 'blessed' as a Wiccan incantation.
Yeah, I grew up among the Southern Baptists, but not with that phrase. Maybe that’s why it bothers me so. Even the Baptists would be bothered by it. Too much moving of cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the Baptists 'round here regard that particular usage of 'blessed' as a Wiccan incantation.

    ReplyDelete