Monday, June 01, 2020

What's that Orwell quote?


Two college friends are former prosecutors and commented after having read the charging documents. The first said the charging document looked like it had been written by the defense with all kinds of holes big enough to drive a truck through. The second was stunned that they only charged 3rd degree and manslaughter given the facts alone from the first video. The first also read the initial autopsy report and said it was also deeply problematic, having statements that Floyd died of something else, there could have been contributions from intoxicants when there was no toxicology results yet. His take was the prosecutor and coroner were helping set up an acquittal. There is much more broken here than Chauvin and the three other (former) officers.

About what's the hardest thing to see is what's right in front of your nose?

I find it easy to accept vicious police officers reacting with excessive violence to a large black man.

I don't mean to excuse that violence.  I only mean I've come to accept it happens, and it is reprehensible.  But DA's and coroners joining in the conspiracy?  That part I still have trouble wrapping my head around.

Maybe I should give a bit more deference to the wisdom of the crowd.  And look more carefully at what's at the end of my nose.

ADDING:

Well, there you go.  How many more nights of rioting in Minneapolis will this provoke?

No comments:

Post a Comment