Monday, July 19, 2021

Solidarity With The Cuban People? Or With the Cubans In Florida?

If I followed the discussion with James Carville on MSNBC (via Sirius, I was in the car travelling for more Hill Country peaches) Saturday correctly, he thought this was a terrible take on the situation in Cuba.

I guess except A) I had no idea what he was talking about at the time; 

B) the only people it offends are people who don't like AOC anyway;

C) if I hadn't looked this up, I still wouldn't know what Carville was wringing his hand about; and  

D) I don't really buy the argument that Dems lost votes nationwide over the "Defund the police" issue (he brought that up to, as another example of Democratic fecklessness from the "young" who don't understand.  I guess that's me, too, since I'm younger than him.).  And even if they did, I still don't think what's going on in Cuba, or what AOC tweets, is of grave national interest.
This issue probably resonates more.*

I don't dismiss the troubles in Cuba lightly.  But experience tells me this doesn’t have national/local impact (and definitely not in ‘22). I was still holding a pulpit on 9/11/01.  Most of the members of my church, elderly and of my generation, didn't seem to much care about what was going on in NYC. Sorry, but it was far away and nobody knew anyone who lived there. Cuba isn't even in America, and from what I'm seeing, the marches against the Castro/communist regime are all taking place in....south Florida.  So....

The mayor of Miami (I think; I could be wrong about the city) apparently urged Biden to make airstrikes on Cuba.  Which, frankly, is insane.  Then again:  Florida, man. Biden wants to pick up people fleeing the island and take them to Gitmo for processing and transfer to other countries, which strikes me as quite sensible.  What else are we supposed to do?  Invade Cuba to get back the property some Floridians lost 60 years ago?  Turn Cuba into Iraq, or Afghanistan, because we have the military to knock everything over, but no capabilities for building it back?

As for the embargoes, I suspect most people of AOC's generation agree with her (as do I):  what's the point of those now?  I never really understood them and I was around when they were imposed. We can critique any sanctions on any country on the basis it hurts the people, but we can't say that about Cuba?

That the Cubans deserve a better government goes without saying.  That the U.S. has done anything constructive towards that end since Castro took power, is a point of argument.  That we should work multinationally to help the Cuban people, is clear.

Anything else is just eyewash.

*Yes, the Florida law is a terrible law, and watching this protest undermine the very justification for it cooked up by the Florida legislature is like watching a raging river undermine the foundations of a bridge to nowhere that nobody wanted built anyway except the contractor who got the public contract.  Very simply, you can't enforce a law selectively:  allow protests over conditions in Cuba, but not over conditions in Florida, or the death of George Floyd, etc.  Authorities in Orlando have destroyed whatever foundation the State of Florida thought it had for that law.  It's a bit of shadenfreude to see it, that's all.

1 comment:

  1. The embargo was supposed to bring down the Castro government - how long you keep an obviously failed policy doesn't depend on it being any more likely to not work going on to its seventh decade. What it gave was an excuse in Cuba as to why things didn't work very well.

    Florida is the kind of place that makes me wish some states could be put in custodial care until it recovers basic competence. I wonder what percentage of its voters are suffering dementia, both biological and Murdoch based.

    Carville's relevance pretty much ended about 1993. Once he married the devil I figured he probably wasn't going to have much of use to making progress. I wish someone would pull his number from the rolodexes and off of the call lists of the media.

    ReplyDelete