Tuesday, February 27, 2024

I Have Another Question πŸ™‹‍♂️

Why did this start (and is it still there? Two! I have two other questions!) in the Consumer Protection division of the Texas AG? What consumer interests was the AG trying to protect? (I have three questions!!)

What the fuck is going on here? (Amongst my questions are…!) I guess the state register issue is Consumer Protection because it’s a charity. But if they are alleged to be involved in human trafficking and human smuggling, those are criminal issues that need to be referred to the El Paso DA . I’m very suspicious of establishing a crime as a basis for civil action without first establishing the crime in criminal proceedings. Among other things there’s a 5th Amendment issue if you force Annunciation House to turn over documents that might incriminate it. (See, e.g., Jeffrey Clark’s successful quashing of a document production request from the  D.C. Bar. Clark is facing criminal charges in Georgia, but Paxton is alleging crimes by Annunciation House. It seems to me the principle holds.

Of course I think it’s grounds for dismissal that Ken Paxton is just massive dick abusing his office for political purposes. But that’s not grounds for the court, even if they could take judicial notice of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment