Thursday, July 25, 2024

Throwing It Against The Wall

Name three cases.
Let me just say one thing first," Trump began. "So, I had a meeting with them. First, I had a meeting with Congress, Republican Congress. It was like a lovefest. Then, I met with them and the US Senate, which was all Republicans, 49. And it was also a lovefest, but my best meeting of the three (sic) was with the executives. And Biden’s misinformation — people put out a thing: Oh, he went on, he rambled. There was no rambling. This, you could say, this is rambling, but in order to get to the point, you have to, you know, this is a very complex subject, that a lot of people, most people don’t understand. But I just wanted to say, that that was the best meeting. They loved it. They were happy with." 
The rambling comments continued as he bragged about his tax cuts in 2017. 
"But I would like to get it down to 15, if we could, because that would put us in the absolute lowest in terms of incentive. But that meeting and we had, I don’t know, 70—all CEOs, the top guys. That was a lovefest. And I will tell you when I’m not loved because I feel that better than anybody. But that was a lovefest. And it was reported by some people so wrong. Actually, CNBC called and apologized to me, because they found out. But we had a great meeting, Jamie Dimon was there. I have a lot of respect for Jamie Dimon." 
The reporter at Bloomberg asked the question again whether Dimon would be a candidate for Treasury Secretary. 
"He is somebody that I would consider, sure," Trump said. "He was at the meeting. Tim Cook was right next to him. You know, we had everybody."
Three weeks later Trump says he’d never consider Dimon at all, and he doesn’t know where they get this stuff.

But it’s the open admission of sucking need that’s really significant there. It’s not even that he has to describe everything as a “love fest,” or that his vocabulary is stuck in time 60 years ago. It’s that people have to love him. Have to; or he can’t even regard them as valid. Or, more accurately, himself as valid. Which puts this in context:
"If they do 'assassinate President Trump,' which is always a possibility, I hope that America obliterates Iran, wipes it off the face of the Earth," Trump wrote. "If that does not happen, American Leaders will be considered 'gutless' cowards!"
A) if Iran did assassinate Trump, he won’t be around to complain about the sufficiency of the response. B) The last time the last time this country retaliated for murder by foreigners, it involved over 3000 people and led to a long, pointless, and inconclusive war in two countries.

All that aside, obliterating Iran? What idiot demands such a thing? Maybe an angry four year old, or the monstrous Anthony from Jerome Bixby’s “It’s A Good Life.” But that’s a fantasy horror story; not a map for reality.

Donald Trump’s idea of reality is not a map for anyone else to to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment