Friday, September 06, 2024

"Punishment...isn't a solution."

I'm not a fan of imprisonment, I'm not a whole-hearted supporter of punishment as a way to deter, or even respond to, crime. That said, this analysis bothers me for other reasons. Not because Josh is wrong here. We have decided gun sellers and manufacturers cannot be held responsible in the same way we hold retailers and car makers responsible for their deadly products. The primary difference there is product liability is aimed at keeping unsafe products off the market; and guns uniformly work as they were designed to, in mass shooting situations. I've yet to hear of one malfunctioning and endangering the life of the shooter. I question (back to my misgivings) the wisdom of punishing a father who obviously gave (or allowed to be given) his 14 year old son an AR style rifle. That would be like buying your pre-teen an M-16 (if the military still uses those. I'm going back to Vietnam days here.). I mean, what, you expecting to send him into combat?  OTOH, how do you "correct" someone who does that?  I guess since you're ruining the kid's life (I have problems with trying a 14 year old as an adult, no matter how heinous the crime), you might as well ruin the father's, too?  But do "we have no choice but to go after the next best thing"?  And are the parents that "next best thing"?

This is a bit more in keeping with my own thoughts:
There are legal disjuncts here, as Ms. Rice points out.  The kid is a minor, so the parents can be responsible for his actions.  The kid is an adult, so he can face felony murder charges as an adult.  Kinda preachin' it round and square, isn't it?  And for what?  Because we as a society can't get at the root of the problem, so we attack the parents and the child?  Kinda punchin' down, isn't it? 

Besides, as she said:  "punishment...isn't a solution."  We are certainly not going to punish the parents out of this problem no other country in the world has.  I guarantee that's not how they've never come to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment