Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veteran's Day 2018



Veteran's Day Observed: 
President Trump and first lady Melania Trump cancelled their trip to the Ainse-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial in France on Saturday due to "scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather."

The details: The Trumps were scheduled to participate in a wreath-laying ceremony and moment of silence, the Independent reports, to commemorate the more than 2,000 U.S. soldiers that died there during World War I. French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau all went ahead with plans to visit World War I memorials. According to the White House, Chief of Staff General John Kelly and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joe Dunford would visit in their place.


World leaders including Macron and Trudeau tweeted about their visits to the memorial.

Grass

BY CARL SANDBURG

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work—
                                          I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
                                          What place is this?
                                          Where are we now?

                                          I am the grass.
                                          Let me work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment