Friday, November 26, 2021

Blackest Of Fridays

Does anybody still watch FoxNews? And despite scary tales or turkey shortages (bought mine a week earlier than usual) I didn't notice any shortages of food or turkeys in the week before Thursday. Just hordes and hordes of people buying as if it were the end times and we could all have one last meal before we died together, in a cataclysmic event we were reconciled too.

Normal Thanksgiving week, in other words.
Yeah, I went to the grocery store because I knew it wouldn't be crowded (starting early on Xmas baking).  Otherwise I'm home today, because I don't have hordes of family crowding up the homestead and I need to get them out of the house for awhile.  (I worked in a bookstore for awhile, and the owner, a friend, swore that was why people came to the store on Black Friday.  We were open, but never sold much.  The frenzy was at the mall, which is where the Target is, come to think of it.)

I really don't understand the herd mentality that drives people to swarm like locusts in stores this time of year.  I do feel the tug to get something bought in December, having made all my arrangements (mostly baking) in October, if not earlier.  But I'm happier when I resist it, and I've never wanted to be part of a mob in a Target.

People is weird.
Christmas is coming, and people realize they are in the public eye, not just the eye of their most rabid supporters.

1 comment:

  1. I once wondered if things would be better if we adopted the Canadian date in October, put a bigger buffer between Thanksgiving and Christmas but figured it would just ad six or so more weeks to the insanity and they'd put up decorations before Labor Day. Not buying anything till after the insanity is over.

    ReplyDelete