Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Lawyer As Kind Of A Racist Dick

Just to put this in context: Tout le Twitter was all upset (is? still? Have we moved on yet to a new outrage du jour?) at this judge, and a new one almost surely exploded today when he dropped the misdemeanor weapons charge.  But that was with the agreement of the prosecution because the law labeled "illegal" guns with a barrel shorter than 16 inches, which didn't apply to the gun in question, and the law was vague anyway (bad law), etc., etc., etc.  Still, this remains true: But that doesn't mean lawyer as racist dick is not newsworthy.  And, I would add, lawyer as dick trying to put pastors in a box where it's only one per customer and they must have a personal relationship with the individuals in question in order to appear beside them in public.

"How many pastors does the Arbery family have?" Gough said. "We had the Rev. Al Sharpton here earlier last week, and I'm not keeping track and I think the court has indicated that the court doesn't intend to ask anyone to keep track of who is in the gallery, but I don't know who Rev. Jackson is pastoring here."

A racist dick AND  an ecclesiastical dick.  Kinda reminds me of the time I showed up at a funeral home in a small East Texas town (the deceased was a church member being buried in the place where he grew up) and the funeral director literally sneered when I took my robe bag out of the car (I was wearing a collar, which he didn't like, either.  Baptists wear ties.)  "Oh, you're one of those kind," he said, or something like it.  He was not best pleased.

Dicks come in all shapes and professions.  I've become especially sensitive to the ones who think pastors have a niche they should quietly stay in.  The Rev. Sharpton and the Rev. Jackson have their reasons for being in that courtroom.  I would be honored just to stand in solidarity with them.

1 comment:

  1. That guy is like a summer stock actor playing the prosecutor in To Kill A Mockingbird. Or worse.

    The judge is obviously biased and a jerk only I'm not surprised that some of them are. If the prosecutors are making mistakes, that doesn't surprise me either. None of this is a credit to the legal system in Wisconsin or the travesty of elected judges. Appointed ones can be bad enough but elected ones are a terrible idea.

    ReplyDelete