Thursday, February 17, 2022

Smashing πŸ’₯ The Mirror πŸͺž

Sunday morning worship is STILL the most segregated hour in America. I think Dr. King observed that. It's true, whoever said it first. Most people go to church to "escape" from "the world." I know Karl Barth said a preacher should hold a Bible in one hand, and the newspaper in the other. Put the newspaper down, Pastor, unless you want to be looking for a new church real soon. I was fortunate to attend, not "Christian school," but a seminary where I was challenged emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, and personally like I never was in college, graduate school, or law school (yeah, I'm educated far beyond my station in life).  I had a black professor who told us about going to department stores and having clerks watch him until he left, because, you know....they steal!  There was a black woman in my class, about the only one in the seminary the four years I was there, who was furious with white people for what they'd done to her, mostly things we were wholly unaware we were guilty of.  We were guilty, but not guilty in the sense of the law or even of eternal shame, ashes and sackcloth.   We learned the hard way (well, I will speak only for myself, though we all, in the end, came to love and respect each other, and honor her truths and re-examine our own), that "all white people benefit from a system that grants advantages to those considered white and disadvantages to Black people and other people of color." And yeah: "What you do with that fact says more about you than me."  Most white people cannot STAND that fact.  Too bad for them. I honestly think (believe; whatever) that CRT is not an external force being foisted on white people by FoxNews and random trolling Facebook pages.  The reaction is too intense, too personal.  I've seen it before.  White people recognize themselves in that mirror, and the only response is to smash the mirror.  "CRT" is a conveniently neutral term for the n-word and "I really don't like THOSE people!," and all the other things white people would like to be more comfortable saying (well, even when I was a child, the n-word was not used in polite company, but nobody demurred if you didn't want your daughter to marry one) if they only could.  The root problem here is Barack Obama was President for 8 years, and some people think it will take generations to wash that stain out of the body politic.

They think it; but they won't way it.  Or even admit they think it; not even to themselves.  They also know they "benefit from a system that grants advantages to those considered white and disadvantages to Black people and other people of color."  They know it, and they're afraid of losing those advantages (see, e.g., the reaction to the halftime show at Super Bowl LVI).

I SO thought we'd be over this shit by now.  That was before I understood this is America's hidden wound that cannot heal, because we work so hard to keep it hidden. And keep it a wound. Conservative means not letting anything change, right?

1 comment:

  1. Sometime early in the Trump administration I was reading on some Obama policy they were trying to overturn, and it became apparent that they really weren't against the policy based on any principle, but that the Trump administration was opposed because it has been implemented by Obama. Seeing it happen over and over it finally dawned on me that what they really wanted to do was to completely erase Obama. If you could overturn absolutely everything Obama did, then it would be like he was never president. It seemed bizarre then (it seems bizarre now), but it makes a certain sense if the real goal is to make it as if we never had a black president. His 8 years would be a nullity. This need to erase animated the anti-ACA forces more than anything. The endless meaningless votes to overturn the ACA were a symbolic effort to make Obama disappear. I don't expect the Republicans to meaningfully run on any issues in for the midterms other than an implicit promise to continue to erase what they see as the national stain.

    ReplyDelete