Saturday, December 18, 2021

Third Saturday of Advent 2021

Isaiah 66:7-11

7 “Before she goes into labor,

    she gives birth;

before the pains come upon her,

    she delivers a son.

8 Who has ever heard of such things?

    Who has ever seen things like this?

Can a country be born in a day

    or a nation be brought forth in a moment?

Yet no sooner is Zion in labor

    than she gives birth to her children.

9 Do I bring to the moment of birth

    and not give delivery?” says the Lord.

“Do I close up the womb

    when I bring to delivery?” says your God.

10 “Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,

    all you who love her;

rejoice greatly with her,

    all you who mourn over her.

11 For you will nurse and be satisfied

    at her comforting breasts;

you will drink deeply

    and delight in her overflowing abundance.”


Luke 13:31-35

31 At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.”

32 He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ 33 In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!

34 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 35 Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”


When Joseph was an old man,

An old man was he, 

He married Virgin Mary, 

The Queen of Galilee, 

He married Virgin Mary, 

The Queen of Galilee. 


As Joseph and Mary 

Walked through an orchard green, 

There were apples and cherries 

Plenty there to be seen, 

There were apples and cherries 

Plenty there to be seen. 


Then Mary spoke to Joseph, 

So meek and so mild, 

"Joseph, gather me some cherries, 

For I am with Child, 

Joseph, gather me some cherries, 

For I am with Child." 


Then Joseph flew in anger, 

In anger flew he, 

"Let the father of the baby 

Gather cherries for thee, 

Let the father of the baby 

Gather cherries for thee." 


Then Jesus spoke a few words, 

A few words spoke He, 

"Let my mother have some cherries, 

Bow low down, cherry tree, 

Let my mother have some cherries, 

Bow low down, cherry tree." 


The cherry tree bowed low down, 

Bowed low down to the ground, 

And Mary gathered cherries, 

While Joseph stood around, 

And Mary gathered cherries, 

While Joseph stood around. 


Then Joseph took Mary 

All on his right knee: 

"Oh, what have I done, Lord? 

Have mercy on me. 

Oh, what have I done, Lord? 

Have mercy on me." 


Then Joseph took Mary 

All on his left knee: 

"Oh, tell me, little Baby, 

When Thy Birthday will be, 

Oh, tell me, little Baby, 

When Thy Birthday will be." 


"On the fifth day of January 

My Birthday will be, 

When the stars and the elements 

Shall tremble with fear, 

When the stars and the elements 

Shall tremble with fear." 

 MAGNIFICAT ANTIPHON: 

O sacred Lord of ancient Israel, who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush, who gave him the holy law on Sinai mountain: Come, stretch out your mighty hand to set us free.

MAGNIFICAT 

I acclaim the greatness of the Lord,

I delight in God my Savior,

who regarded my humble state.

Truly from this day on

all ages will call me blest.


For God, wonderful in power,

has used that strength for me.

Holy the name of the Lord!

whose mercy embraces the faithful,

one generation to the next,.


The mighty arm of God

scatters the proud in their conceit,

pulls tyrants from their thrones,

and raises up the humble.

The Lord fills the starving

and lets the rich go hungry.


God rescues lowly Israel,

recalling the promise of mercy,

the promise made to our ancestors,

to Abraham's heirs for ever.


Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.  As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Our Father...

Alpha and Omega, your reign among us has begun.  Let our life here be a reflection of your glorious kingdom and bring us all together to everlasting life with you, Creator, Savior and Spirit.  Amen.

May God bless us, deliver us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life.  Amen.

Let us bless God/and give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment