Tuesday, May 31, 2022

All Lives Matter; Except Gunshot Victims

When asked on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on whether the country has “a gun problem or a security problem,” Roland Gutierrez, a Texas Democratic state senator who has been outspoken in favor of gun reform, was definitive. 
“This is absolutely a gun problem, and it's all of those things,” he said. Abbott thinks it's a mental health problem. Sure it is. Well, then go fund it properly. We're dead last in mental health funding in the United States. You know, we've got a crisis of infinite proportions in these United States.”
He added: “At the end of the day, if we don't have accessibility to militarized weapons, this doesn't happen, just like it doesn't happen in the rest of the world.” 
But when asked the same question on CNN’s “State of the Union,” U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, a Houston Republican, said, “No. I think, culturally, we're a country that has long had a Second Amendment that believes in the right to self-defense.” “I don't think it's a problem that I own guns. And I know that, if I destroyed all my guns, it would have zero effect on crime.”

How about if I destroyed all my video games? And we’re a country which has long had a 2nd Amendment, but only recently had a religious adherence to it as an absolute right absolutely trumping all others.

I don’t want to destroy Dan Crenshaw’s guns. I just don’t want idiot 18 year olds to be able to freely buy assault rifles and enough ammunition to start a war.

And if “mental health” is such a clear and present danger, why don’t we put our money where our mouths are?

No comments:

Post a Comment