Tuesday, January 19, 2021

“Get Out Of Jail Free”

I had read something somewhere about pardons needing to specify crimes, but didn't know if it was true or not.  I don't think Ford listed every offense Nixon was supposedly guilty of (who knew what they were, exactly?), and I know blanket pardons have been offered (if memory serves Carter pardoned all the draft dodgers who fled to Canada or otherwise avoided service after the war in Vietnam was long over).  Again, I'm not sure how specific they were, but who really wanted to go on prosecuting the draft dodgers in the late '70's?

If Trump had pardoned himself or his children, how would he do it, except to write a "Get Out of Jail Free!" card pardon.  The more I thought about it, the more I thought Trump wouldn't be able to put his pen to a document that listed, even in vague and general terms, the crimes which he or his children (or children's spouses) might be guilty of and could not be prosecuted for hereafter.  I accept that, in part, Trump decided not to pardon himself and his family because of the Senate impeachment trial.  And here I pause to wonder why I ever thought Glenn Greenwald wasn't a yutz:
Yeah, it's barely on the topic, but I needed an excuse to post it somewhere.  Anyway, I do think Trump finally decided not to issue those pardons in no small part because he'd have to sign documents referring to some crimes, and he continues to insist he not only had great accomplishments, but that every allegation against him is false and malicious.

And how does he do that if he signs a document admitting he's guilty of those very crimes, but pardoned for them (and yet not innocent of them)?  In the end, I just think he couldn't do it.


2 comments:

  1. If Glenn Greenwald was a tenth as important as he thinks he is he'd still be a thousand times more important than he really is.
    Edward Snowden, probably one of the major information bonanzas to both the Chinese and Putin dictatorships is regularly peddled as some kind of hero. I hope someday we get an accurate estimate how much he gave them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowden is a hero to the same extent Greenwald is a journalist.

      Delete