Monday, October 31, 2022

PREACH IT!

Once, in my brief but unspectacular career in a pulpit, I preached in a black church in southern Louisiana (they were lovely people; truly warm and generous and kind to this very white boy). I got into the rhythm of it because I couldn't preach to them the way I did to my white German congregation. But I've never preached like that, and I never could. This is where the roots of rap and hip hop lie; no question about it. More truth spoken to power. These also make me realize (stop me if you've heard this one here!) that the signs I see on my street "SAVE TEXAS/SAVE THE NATION/VOTE REPUBLICAN" are incredibly racist.

Because how else do you counter a sermon (which isn't really a sermon; that's a political rally, not a Sunday service) like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment