Friday, March 05, 2021

I Think The Culture War Is Over

Gotta be honest, I'm having a hard time seeing Dr. Seuess books becoming a topic of national and unquenchable outrage.
First the copyright holders of the books said "We don't think we'll publish these six titles anymore," and I said nothing because I'm not the copyright holder of those books.  Then a streaming service said "We should add mild warnings to some of these episodes from this show we're streaming that first aired decades ago, because times have changed," and I said nothing, because I don't own the streaming service.  Then the makers of a toy said "How about we drop the 'Mr.' from this toy," and then they changed their minds, and I still said nothing; because I'm not a five-year old child.  But I'm beginning to think the right wing thinks we all are five years old.

I’m old enough to remember when the reflex on the "internet left" was to not ignore anything the "internet right" did because that's how they sneak up on you. I think we can relax now. I mean, real life is proving much more entertaining:
No, this is farce; even for Rubio. I almost feel sorry for them. Maybe Biden should wear a tan suit. And how bad is it that the GOP is living in the Geico “Caveman” ads of long ago?

4 comments:

  1. The real takeaway is that Marsha Blackburn just admitted she believes in evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say, even when I was a kid I thought The Cat In the Hat was an a-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=http://thesecondpass.com/%3Fp%3D4998&ved=2ahUKEwj-0pSv05zvAhUSgp4KHZq7BOMQFjAJegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2DwLh0hYZNlSsoHtbjfWxD

    Nearly all of the people who've read Emerson, Whitman, Melville, Hawthorne and Thoreau were lit majors. Dr. Seuss has broader appeal and reached most readers at a much earlier stage of development.

    ReplyDelete