Wednesday, March 03, 2021

If I Ran The Media Circus

I purposefully stayed away from the "Dr. Seuss" outrage yesterday, because I didn't care, and because I feared I’d find something in the story to piss me off (spoiler:  it didn’t), and who needs the grief?

I can unequivocally recommend the Vox article linked in the tweet, because first it quotes the people managing the intellectual property of the late author and why some books have been removed from republishing.  It’s a kind of Huckleberry Finn/n-word decision, an issue I used to think ridiculous but now regard as not my fight/I won’t even disagree with the objections issue.  Same with this:  the objections seem to be that the depictions of characters are too much aligned with depictions acceptable at the time but objectionable now.  And frankly, I’m okay with that.  Again, not my fight.  I’m not, as an old white male, being misrepresented (and if I was, I’m still an old white male, I have considerable privilege in this culture). Not my fight, in short.

As the Vox article documents, the rest is faux outrage of the “cancel culture”/War On Xmas” variety.  That’s another fake fight I refuse to engage.

Suffice to say all is well with the world, and FoxNews and others miss Trump terribly.  I say leave them to it.

P.S.  Yesterday was Theodore Geisel’s birthday.  Stupid way to remember it, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment