Friday, October 14, 2022

In The End, He'd Plead The 5th

Precedent ain't necessarily "precedent": One sympathizes since Truman refused to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities (a committee that was active before I was born and well into my childhood.  Yes, Virginia, Congress did once function quite differently.  Not better, just differently.).  He later testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to discuss, nor Russia Russia Russia, but the UN Charter.  We once elected adults to public office.  Where we went astray I'm still not sure, but I blame the creation of the category of "teenager" myself.  My analysis is long and complex, and you'll need to subscribe to me as-yet-created substack/newsletter/Twitter feed/reddit account to read more.*

But I digress.....

Apparently the Committee did not seek enforcement of its subpoena since I find no quick mention of a court decision; so, as I say, "precedent" isn't always precedent.  OTOH, if the House doesn't change hands (the jury is still out on that one) and the Committee gets another two years of life, it would spend one just getting Trump in a room for questions, and then he'd just plead the 5th (there is precedent for that!), and what would that be worth?  We know he's a liar.  I'd rather the D.C. grand jury cook his goose, at this point.  They don't need his testimony, and he'll need a better defense than the 14 pages of "vomit" he released today.  The Committee can note Trump's silence and let it speak against him.  It will speak volumes.  He'll end up wishing he'd volunteered to speak on their terms.
Yeah, that grand jury.  Those hoofbeats Trump hears are the horsemen of accountability coming for his fat ass.  That Congressional subpoena is the least of his worries.


*J.K.  It's all about race and the civil rights movement and VRA and the Civil Rights Act.  But I'm a broken record on that subject, so we'll move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment