Friday, July 12, 2013

The past isn't over.....


Maybe it's because Josh Marshall is younger then me, and far less Southern.  But when I read this, I immediately thought of Emmet Till:

But back to the image itself. Seeing it, for all the tabloid coverage and endless CNN cable news coverage of the case, a big part of me feels like the real story here has been glossed over. Whatever the ins and outs of the legalities here, the odds of this happening to a white kid are just very slim. I knew that an hour ago. But I’m confronting it in a different way now.
Read the entire post over there.  But for me, it underlines not only the blatant racism existent in the death of Trayvon Martin, but that everything old is new again.

And we still need to confront that.  Over and over and over again, until our hidden wound is finally brought into the light.  Sunshine is still the best antiseptic; at least, for these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment