Friday, August 12, 2022

Playing With Your Food

Also wondering: are we still going to defund the FBI? I mean, do we want the FBI to investigate espionage, or not? And enough with the "Trump used Double Super Secret Declassification to make this all okay!" argument: I read Davis's Twitter argument and case law citation to justify his position, and it's clear he doesn't know the law and doesn't understand how case law works. And from what I understand the Espionage Act isn't limited to classified documents, so it doesn't matter what Trump claims he did.  Besides, to make that claim he's going to have to take the stand in a criminal trial and offer it as a defense.  Which is something he doesn't want to do.

I also assume Bradley Moss is right, and a  simple "Because I said so!" is not enough to establish the act.

I'm sure Trump will rely on the "but my lawyers told me I could!" defense.  If it gets that far.
I know that's very vague language, but it raises a question I'm interested in:  does it matter if these documents were classified?  Some were, but is that germane to the elements of the crimes stated in the application for the warrant?  I think this has more to do with government property (not usually a major DOJ concern, as long as they get it back, I understand) and espionage (a different kettle of fish altogether).  The documents are only a small portion of what may be a much larger (and as yet publicly unseen) picture of Trump dealing in government secrets; or trying to.  I think that's where it gets interesting, else why did he have these records at all?
There's more to this than Trump took what didn't belong to him.

I won't say we're there yet, until we're there. But this is getting curiouser and curiouser, if we never get there. References Breitbart not redacting the names of the FBI agents on the documents (WSJ did), but yeah, I'm confused as to why Trump released this at all, rather than let the court do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment