Thursday, August 11, 2022

How It’s Going

The press outside of Texas hears this as antisemitism, which is fair. Maybe people younger than me in Texas hear that, too. I grew up in the only town in East Texas with a synagogue. Even the archest Baptists didn’t display any overt antisemitism.*

Then again, there have been recent attacks in a synagogue in Austin, so, sadly, things change.

But I hear Abbott appealing to old rural voters for whom “New York” means “damn Yankees.” No, not the baseball team. And Soros is the boogeyman of the right wing, even if a worn out trope of one.

I don’t think calling it antisemitism is going to sway many Abbott voters. I also don’t think Abbott talking about “Yankees” is going to improve his poll numbers.

And Beto throwing out a curse word in righteous anger doesn’t hurt him a bit.
Your alternative in California is not Greg Abbott. Just sayin'... (Then again, why people get excited about Beto outside of Texas perplexes me.  Had he beaten Cruz he'd be a player on the national stage, but as Governor of Texas?  An office with little real power where the Legislature only meets for 6 months every 2 years?  And the Governor's only authority there is the veto?)

*We all "knew" (We=Gentiles) that Jews were Pharisees were overly concerned with legalisms of Mosaic law.  I didn't consider that anti-semitism until much later, and only finally learned the error of my upbringing in seminary.  But there was a local businessman with two daughters (twins) my age, and nobody shunned them or slighted them for being Jewish.  We weren't that overt, is all I'm sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment