Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Security Is Just A State Of Mind



The United States Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005 in response to the terrorist attacks on 9/11. The REAL ID Act requires states to adopt and implement uniform standards for the issuance and production of state-issued driver licenses and identification cards if they are to be accepted as identity documents by the federal government. This Act strengthens the integrity and security of state-issued cards in an effort to reduce identity fraud and terrorism

Yeah, here’s how that works IRL.

Yesterday I had an appointment at DPS to renew my DL. I took a copy of my birth certificate, but a very kind young woman (hey, I’m old; they’re all “young women” now) explained where to go (local county clerk’s office) to get a certificate that would be acceptable. So off I went.

Once there I met another friendly government employee (I can remember when that was an oxymoron) who had me fill out a form and…present my driver’s license for ID. With that and a credit card , I had my document that would allow me to get…a driver’s license.

It wasn’t Kafkaesque. It was more like finding myself in a Terry Gilliam film. To renew my DL as “Real ID,” I needed a birth certificate. To get my birth certificate, I needed my DL.

I feel so much more protected against identity theft and terrorism now.

No comments:

Post a Comment