Saturday, August 17, 2024

No Tax On Tips

Trump's tax proposal was going to allow doctors and stock brokers and people who don't draw a salary, to declare their income as tips and so evade taxes.  Harris' proposal eliminates that loophole, though unless it is also refundable (as the term is used above, anyway), it hardly matters.

When I had a 10% mortgage, I took the mortgage deduction.  But then the personal deduction changed, and my next house had a lower mortgage (but a larger house payment), and I couldn't deduct my mortgage.  Or much of anything.  Not that it hurt me; it all came out pretty much the same, in the end.  But the idea that home ownership nets you a big tax break was abandoned decades ago.  Something else I'm pretty sure Trump is not even vaguely aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment